Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Fall Fun

This weekend I spent what seemed like the majority of it raking leaves. Our backyard has two huge trees and a couple smaller ones...perfect for TPing right Graves, Lindsey's and Corders.

One of the trees is a maple tree that dropped some of the biggest leaves I've ever seen. Before I started raking you couldn't see our yard. It was completely covered with leaves.

I used our leaf blower to gather all the leaves into three piles. Each pile was at least three feet tall and ten feet in diameter. Lots of leaves!

After I got them all organized it hit me...I've got to dispose of them somehow. Bagging would take to long. As would the leaf blower that seconds as a mulcher.

So I did what any man would do, burn them in my wheel barrel.

After burning leaves for about two hours we barely made a dent in one of the piles. So we were on to plan two.

I would like to thank our neighbor Bob who gave me the great idea of running the lawn mower over the leaves. I questioned how you run a mower over such large piles of leaves but he assured me it'd work. So basically I was like a hungry, hungry hippo with my lawn mower.

Like magic the piles shrunk relatively fast. Kelly came through with the mulcher and cleaned up the tiny bits of leaves that remained. What we thought was going to be the longest afternoon of lawn work turned out to be a well spent beautiful fall day.
Ash

6 Comments:

At November 07, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you made it fun! All these leaves!! Right now I am glad that I do not have a house. I am going to enjoy my glory days in the condo!!!

 
At November 08, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am surprised those leaves (which might have had Teenage Mutan Ninja Turtle oooz on them) could be chopped up by your lawn mower. You should take a pic of one (if there are any left)

Good job on getting the yard all clear. I thin our neighbors are wondering when we are going to do that. You guys busy this weekend?

 
At November 08, 2006 , Blogger Kara Graves said...

yea, I can sympathize with the leaves...we have raked 39 of the 30 gallon Home Depot Bags so far...probably a few more when the last ones fall. It is great exercise!

 
At November 09, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL that is awesome wheel barrel burn. Now the only thing more manly would have pulled a "mark johnson" and lit a flaming arrow and shot it into the wheel barrel of leaves. Are you sure you didn't freak your neighbor out when he saw the burning wheel barrel, before he suggested mutchy-multch.

PS I really can't sympathize, 1 Rake, 1 Leaf Blower, 2 Trees...but no leaves , Priceless.

 
At November 09, 2006 , Blogger Ash, Kel n Ella said...

Elliot, I'd love to offer up our leaves come next year. I've got enough to go around. I'd hate to see your rake and leaf blower go to waste!!!
Ash

 
At November 10, 2006 , Blogger Dan and Kate plus Nate said...

You should have called Dan. He would have loved to join in the game of Hungry Hippos. I loved that game! Could you imagine four guys with lawn mowers set up like Hungry hippos in your lawn. That would be funny.

okay, I am a nerd.

Katie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home