Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Dr. Todd

Earlier this week I received a very random call. It was a call asking if I could driving someone to Home Depot. As soon as I heard who it was asking for the ride, I said yes.

The person needing the ride was Dr. Todd. I've gone to church with him just about my entire life and I was in a couple of his classes at Rochester College. He's one of the most interesting people I know.

The reason why he needed a ride to Home Depot and couldn't drive himself is because he is visually impared. He can make out objects and see shadows but not enought to drive. When you approach him you always have to announce who you are.

What is amazing is how this man who hasn't let this "handicap" stop his life. I mean, when I get a cold I'm done for.

What's amazing is how he was blinded and how he lived his life after.

Dr. Todd was a Cobra Helicopter pilot during the Vietnam War. A 50 caliber (very large gun) shot and hit his helicopter. His co-pilot guided them back to base. If it wasn't for the co-pilot they would have crashed into the jungle and Dr. Todd would have been dead.

For the next 5 or so years he spent his life in and out of hospitals and doctors offices. A particular doctor in New York City helped him get back what little sight he has now. As he was re-cuperating or as he called it "being a professional patient" he heard John Kerry on TV. John Kerry, pre-snowboarding and ketchup days, just got back from Vietnam and was speaking out against the war. He was saying that all the soldiers returing from Vientnam drug addicts and other bad things.

Dr. Todd didn't agree. So he called CBS and told them he wanted to refute what Kerry was saying. Eventually he talked his way on air. For the next little while Dr. Todd traveled around as an advicate for the returning soldiers and POW's.

While this was going on someone at the White House heard about Dr. Todd. They tracked him down and hired him to write speaches for President Nixon. I'm not sure how long he worked there but he had NOTHING to do with Watergate - so he says! (just kidding Dr. Todd)

After working for the President, Dr. Todd attended the University of Michigan and got his law degree. Remember he is blind.

After he got his law degree he started teaching law at Rochester College. He's been there ever since.

So you may be asking yourself, what does a blind guy need at Home Depot? He needed some supplies for a carpentry project. Yep, that is right a carpentry project. He's a highly skilled capenter. He's even built a gazebo in his backyard.

This guy is unreal!!!

I truly enjoyed my time spent with Dr. Todd. He's someone who hasn't let ANYTHING stop him from living his life. He's an inspiration to me and many others!!!

Ash

3 Comments:

At August 18, 2006 , Blogger Sean Stockman said...

Wow, that guys is amazing! I had a class with him as well and I remember him telling us about his life events. I am like you Ash, a get a cold I am done. It really shows the determination that God can put in us, it's pretty inspiring!

 
At August 18, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Dr. Todd's handy work today -truly amazing! Thanks, Ash, for helping us to remember what we're really capable of doing. ANYthing is possible with God on our side, huh?

 
At August 21, 2006 , Blogger Ash, Kel n Ella said...

No joke!!! I'm taking him back to Home Depot tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to that!
Ash

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home