Saturday, September 09, 2006

An Evening With Ernie

Tonight Kelly and I went to a fundraiser for the Church of Christ Care Center. The key note speaker was Ernie Harwell. He's what you'd call a local legend.

Here's a little background on Ernie. He was the Tiger's broadcaster for 42 years. He was the first broadcaster voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Over the 42 years working for the Tigers he missed 2 days of work. And most importantly he's a Christian.

Ernie is also a direct link to my dad's dad, Papa. Papa LOVED the Tigers. He watched every game on TV but would turn the volume down and listen to Ernie's broadcast. So when I hear Ernie's voice I think of my Papa.

As we were checking in tonight I noticed Ernie standing just a little ways away by himself. So I went and introduced myself to him. I got a brief moment to talk to him. Just hearing his voice was amazing!

When he got up to talk he told a lot of great old baseball stories. He also told a story of a turtle on a fence post. He said you know the turtle didn't get on the fence post by himself. He used that analogy to show he got where he was today with God's help.

It was so cool to hear the voice of the Tigers and my Papa talking about his love for our God. I could have listened to his stories all night!!!
Ash

3 Comments:

At September 10, 2006 , Blogger Sean Stockman said...

That is awesome man! Sounds like you guys had a great time. I love your passion bro...keep it up!

 
At September 10, 2006 , Blogger Hol said...

What an experience, to meet and listen to Ernie Harwell. I know what you mean about hearing his voice. To me it's similar to what "comfort food" is for people. Sounds are comforting to me - reminding me of when I was younger, and I listened to Ernie's voice announcing Tigers' games. When life was "simple". Have a wonderful day tomorrow! - Holly

 
At September 11, 2006 , Blogger Kara Graves said...

sounds like a fun night!

on another note....we are definitely up for bike riding at Stoney with y'all. It is a lot of fun out there and so pretty!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home