Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Boys of Summer!!!

As Kelly stated in previous posts, I love baseball!

I could watch baseball all day long. And then play it all night.

The Detroit Tigers are the team I've followed since I can remember. It has been difficult the past couple years (see 2003 when they won 43 games - that's out of 162!!!).

This year, we (as if I'm a part of the team) have a new manager in Jim Leyland. He's been around a long time, winning the World Series with the Florida Marlins in 1997. Hopefully he can work some magic with this years Tigers.

Here is the projected opening day starting lineup:

  1. Curtis Granderson, CF
  2. Placido Polanco, 2B
  3. Pudge Rodriguez, C
  4. Magglio Ordonez, RF
  5. Dmitri Young, DH
  6. Craig Monroe, LF
  7. Carlos Guillen, SS
  8. Chris Shelton,
  9. Brandon Inge,

Good points:

  • Granderson is an exciting prospect that is getting the chance to play everyday
  • Polanco and Shelton (aka Red Pop) can flat out hit
  • Monroe is going to be among the team leaders again in RBI's

Questions:

  • Will Pudge find his bat this year?
  • Will Mag's and Guillen stay healthy?
  • Will Dmitri actually lose weight (the Tiger's ordered him to go to a "fat camp" in the off season - it didn't work)?
  • Will Brandon ever look like he's old enough to be in the MLB and will he learn to hit with runners in scoring position?

All in all, I think we have a good team. We need Pudge to have a Pudge like year again at the plate. We need Mag's and Guillen to be healthy for a full season. We need our young pitching to perform.

Having the defending World Series Champion White Sox and a very strong Cleveland Indians team within our division makes life difficult for the Tigers. I'm thinking they'll win 85-88 games this year. It's a step in the right direction but they are still well behind the other two strong teams in their division.

Gooooooooooo Tigers!

3 Comments:

At March 29, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you stick behind your Tigers every year and are not a fair weather fan. It amazes me how optimistic you are for them at the beginning of each new year. I'm rooten for em too and hope they finally have a great season! I'm ready to go to the games!

 
At March 30, 2006 , Blogger Sean Stockman said...

Ashley - This is your passion, can't hide that! Reading that actually made me excited about the Tigers, and I can honestly say I have never even seen a game before. Have you ever thought about working for ESPN?

I just may catch a game or two with you this season. I use to go to Boston Red Sox games when I lived in Boston. I'll admit, they were Sweet!

Alright man, I am off to work. I agree with Kelly, way to be optimistic. Your the man Ash!

 
At April 03, 2006 , Blogger Kara Graves said...

Congratulations on another season finally here. I hope you have many fun evenings watching your beloved sport :)I am really looking forward to hanging out with Kelly at the softball games this year, it will be fun!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home